Monday, May 2, 2005

Keep It Real

I'm an aging toe-tagger slated to die in prison
I pray to God to change the law
Or discover, uncover, the murderer
So I can once again be free before I die in here.

If I were free, I'd run with my children
And grandchildren in my Father's timber.
His ponies I would ride
That would be my Heaven.

Case you haven't guessed it, I'm a country gal.
For 20 years, I've awakened to the yell of: "Count time."
But each day, I do my level best to bring joy and color
And humor to my grey and noisy life.

I mother my young friends in here.
And like my own children,
My prison kids bring music and dance
And laughter to my heart and soul.

To the uninitiated, life in prison is worse than you could ever imagine
And not as bad as you might think.
The injustice kills us, bit by bit. The injustice that brings us
To this hell hole of red buildings. The injustice that keeps us here.

Tupac told us to "Keep it real."
Well, it's real tough, real hard to live behind razor-wire fence forever.
Until I die and they put my name on a tag on my toe.
That's real! That's real for me.

Assignment: This was the first assignment. Write "Who am I"

No comments:

Post a Comment